Who is eligible to become an AthletesCAN Member?
AthletesCAN membership is open to athletes who are currently competing with, or have retired from, a Canadian National team within the past eight years in the following sport categories:
- Olympic / Paralympic
- Pan / Parapan American
- Sports currently funded by Sport Canada competing at Senior World Championships
We understand the world of sport is ever-changing, with new sports being added to major games programming each year. As the most inclusive association of its kind, AthletesCAN welcomes athletes or sport partners who currently do not fit the criteria for membership outlined above to to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss our affiliate member program.
Why should you become an AthletesCAN Member?
- AthletesCAN was created by athletes, for athletes – today the organization is still run by a board of directors comprised of a diverse group of athletes elected annually by the membership.
- We have spent 25+ years representing Canada’s Olympic, Paralympic, Pan American, Parapan American, Commonwealth, Indigenous and World Championship Athletes.
- We ensure athletes rights are respected, protected, and voices heard throughout the sport system.
- We continue to support the holistic development of our members through leadership, education, advocacy, programs and services, and addressing critical needs in the athlete high performance pathway.
- Resources – AthletesCAN provides a suite of leadership and system resources to help athletes navigate the sport system and develop life skills that will serve them long after they retire.
- Programs & Services – AthletesCAN has developed strong relationships with corporate partners to provide direct value to our athletes through bursaries, value in kind, and great discounts.
- Issue Management – AthletesCAN staff and Sport Solution program managers understand the Canadian sport landscape and the issues that may arise in the high performance environment. We are here to help address any sport-related issue they may have concerns with or are experiencing.
- Athlete Voice – AthletesCAN provides a safe environment for its members to voice their opinions, ask questions, and share experiences. We support the development of our #CDNAthleteLeaders and engage them on key matters that have the potential to impact their career.
- Belonging – The AthletesCAN Membership fosters a strong bond between Canadian athletes across more than 60 sports. The athlete experience is unique and we recognize the importance of a network of teammates to share it with – all of it.